since false knowledge is the cause of bondage, samâdhi cannot therefore be the
cause of liberation.

 We get it, but re samâdhi : Shankara is simply saying that it's not a
sufficient cause of liberation but it is surely a necessary cause. So MMY's
attempt at a mass initiation via the TMO is justified, no?

 And MMY's "Science of Being and Art of Living" is acceptable Advaita-Vedanta
for Dummies and a praiseworthy attempt to provide the knowledge that
supplements our experience of transcendence.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...> wrote :

 What Shankara says is that duality, such as the fundamental distinction
between subject and object, is obliterated in deep sleep and in samâdhi, as
well as in other conditions such as fainting, but duality is only temporarily
obliterated for it reappears when one awakes from sleep or regains
consciousness after fainting, and it also reappears when the yogin arises from
samâdhi. The reason why duality persists is because false knowledge
(mithyâjana) has not been removed. It is evident from this brief statement that
Shankara does not consider the attainment of samaâdhi to be a sufficient cause
to eradicate false knowledge, and, according to Shankara, since false knowledge
is the cause of bondage, samâdhi cannot therefore be the cause of liberation.

Shri Vasudevâcharya
Dr. Michael Comans, Ph.D