---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 OK, though you are addressing something I didn't assert - that humans are
inherently better, or closer to God, than animals are.

 We have greater skills due to our tool creating ability, but that doesn't
confer anything on us, except responsibility. This leveraging and increasing
our power through technology gives us the capability to act in much worse ways
than the animals, and also gives us a great responsibility as the stewards of
this planet. Unlike a swallow who can only build a nest, or a bee that can only
produce a hive, or a beaver that can only build a dam, every one of us humans
can do all three...and then build a factory to produce thousands of each.

 True enough. There is this term I remember from being at MIU, this 'dharma'
thing. Can it be the dharma of human beings to be the builders of so many
different things while, in nature, each animal has its own job, its particular
and individual place in nature to do what it must to complete the whole? For
one species, homo Sapiens, to take on so many aspects of altering and
influencing the world - this seems in stark contrast to how the rest of nature
works. Perhaps this is why we get into so much trouble, sticking our nose into
things we have no business sticking it. (LOL)

 It is the inspiration of the animals' abilities, though, that brings about
much of our creativity - flying is a great example. Humanity is not somehow
better than the animals, but we do far exceed them in our ability to manipulate
the environment, for better or worse, while pursuing and developing our
individual and collective interests.

 Sure but this hardly makes us "higher".

 Being human is the greatest challenge on earth, and an incredible gift to be
born as such, simply because we can live our lives as we choose, without the
constraints of already dwelling in a more limited form of perfection, as does
everything else, the rocks, plants, and animals. We are also indebted at birth,
like any living thing, to the laws governing this planet, and as human beings,
this gives us unprecedented opportunities for learning, in all domains. If we
are doing it right, this brings about feelings of joy, sadness, humility,
challenge, concern, compassion, and wonder - did I miss any? :-)

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 Humans will always be higher order than animals, due to greater intelligence
and adaptability. I do think it is fascinating that using such gifts we can
emulate a state of awareness much lower than the animals too. It is that
flexibility unique to our species that makes us top of the pile. The challenge
appears to be to gain the acceptance of life and naturalness that animals have,
while honoring our own birthright.

 I know that it is generally believed that homo sapiens are "higher" than any
other creature on the planet but I think that belief is based on limited
outlook. I also think it originated within the religious thinking that (guess
who!) humans invented so naturally they'll place themselves highest on the
evolutionary totem pole. But, for the sake of playing the Devil's Advocate, I
don't experience human beings to be "higher" and I'll give just a smattering of
reasons why. Can animals experience love, compassion, generosity and deep
intelligence? Yes. Are they driven by greed, addiction, power lust and anger?
No. Do they engage in war or mass decimation of either their own species or
other species? No. Were they made by the same forces that created homo sapiens?
Very likely. Do they possess life energy and consciousness? Yup. If there was
such a thing as God would that God love his animals less than his evolved apes?
Not in my estimation, no. The fact that our species can produce a Monet, a
Beethoven or a Shakespeare is extraordinary but in the grand scheme (or farce)
of things does an oil painting, a collection of musical notes or a sonnet prove
we are better than an intricate dam built by the beaver, a swallow's nest made
of mud and grass or a beehive made with perfect geometry? And just imagine,
every beaver, every swallow and every honey bee can do this, not just the
geniuses among their species.

 These ISIS jihadists are the current manifestations of the asuras or devils in
Nature.  They are  lower than   human beings, but are considered above animals
in the Vedic hierarchy of creatures on earth.

 Bullshit, I'll take an animal any day. Animals are, much of the time, "above"
human beings let alone these ISIS monsters. So, what makes a human so special?
The fact that they, supposedly, can come to "know" God? Animals are born
knowing God.

 The methods they use to kill those that refuse to follow them are
horrendous.They make the NAZIS seem like Boy scouts.