Sorry Feste, but that's the way the discussion was coming off, very shallow and uninformed. At least someone could have posted the what the gun laws are in the US to make for a more "informed" opinion. Even the Wikipedia entry would be sufficient though folks could look up the legislation for even more depth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Such shallowness makes the denizens here look like "Eloi". I've been to Fairfield and know there is a fairly significant part of the population that no longer follows the TMO. They've moved on. Few of those post here.

One of the first things I heard on local talk radio was a journalist explain the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons. Also there was some puzzlement from military folks about how the Orlando gunman was able to kill 50 people without reloading clips multiple times giving an opportunity to jump him. This leads to speculation of a second gunman and a "staged event". Also Russ Baker, an investigative reporter, raises some issues about the shooter:
http://whowhatwhy.org/2016/06/17/russ-baker-dont-rush-judgement-orlando-shooting/

The mainstream media fictionalizes a lot of the news to fulfill the agenda of their wealthy owners.