--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I've been given to understand that enlightenment
> > > changes quite a bit from one spiritual tradition to
> > > another. I'm told, for instance, that Buddhists
> > > disagree with Hindus on key points, and when
> > > their adherents attain end states they call awakening
> > > or enlightenment, the attainees describe their
> > > experiences differently from one another but
> > > consistent with their traditions.
> > >
> > > Native Americans have no such states in their
> > > traditions, suggesting enlightenment is not
> > > something that all traditions recognize.
> > >
> > > View determines fruit, as Vaj quoted a master
> > > as saying. Or as Dana Sawyer says, precept
> > > determines percept.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if I'm disagreeeing with you here, Jim.
> > > I don't know enough about either side of the discussion.
> > > I'm simply expressing some cognitive dissonance with
> > > the statement that enlightenment does not adhere to
> > > any tradition.
> > >
> > Uh-oh, I see another Paradox! Just ample warning for those that wish
> > to read no further...
> >
> > Spiritual traditions are all useful, and thank God there are a lot
> > of them, to serve us all in such diversity.
> >
> > What I meant by my remark was that once enlightenment is reached,
> > the spiritual tradition we have followed loses its uniqueness, and
> > in some ways much of its value; an enlightened Buddhist shares the
> > same view as an enlightened Hindu or Sufi or whatever.

When I was a TM teacher, and for a few years after that, I said the
same thing. Then I asked, "Do I really know what I am talking about
here, or am I just parroting unsubstantiated dogma I have heard?" I
quickly realized it was the latter. With some reading and reaserch,
talking to others, I found there are quite large differences in views
of different traditions and religions -- and representative saint's
reports of states theyhave obtained.  But I am not a scholar. Most
scholars I have read or talked to, who devote their lives to the
topic, find differences not sameness.

Parroting dogma is a mental handicap. It can be overcome.

> Says who? Your intuition? Precisely which enlightened Buddhists,
> Hindus and Sufis did you talk to regarding this. Or are you just
> spouting off platitudes that sound good.
>

> > Oddly enough, once enlightenment blossoms, all of the ways of all
of the spiritual traditions become accessible,

> And you are quite familiar with all the ways of all the spiritual
> traditions? Again, it sounds like feel-good platitudes, nothing
> actually based on studying such traditions and talking to their
> proponents. Tell us about the aghori and nath practices you have
> accessed since becoming self-proclaimed enlightened?
>
> > so that we gain a much
> > stronger intuitive appreciation of all of the traditions, and can
> > enjoy them as we wish.
>
> Sounds like a MUM first year student doing sing-song.

Yup, reading right off some big colorful chart.

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YbEMxA/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM