Providing Food Security to Families in Developing Countries

| Having trouble viewing this email?Click here |

|  |  |

|  |

| SEPTEMBER 4, 2016 • ISSUE 357 | University Website |

| Sustainable living student Kim StrubellWith the help of Charity Seeds,
families are growing corn and beans in Kenya Kenyan Children helping to
transport seedlings to the farmGrowing local vegetables such as tree collards
in Kenya | Kim Strubell — Providing Food Security to Families in Developing
CountriesMUM student Kim Strubell has practiced the Transcendental Meditation®
technique for over 40 years and has had many careers, including construction
and furniture sales. During a business trip to Panama in 2006, Kim witnessed
the environmental devastation of corporate influence among the indigenous
population. He decided to turn his attention to sustainability and return to
school.Kim enrolled in MUM’s sustainable living program and, after receiving
his undergraduate degree in 2015, continued with the master’s program. “The
sustainable living program is excellent,” said Kim. “The professors are the
most important part. We had some teachers that gave us world-class education.
This program is for change-makers.”Kim has been busy applying what he has
learned in class. With the help of his son Garrett, he has built an
off-the-grid, zero net energy home that is surrounded by a small organic farm.
Six years ago, Kim funded a nonprofit organization called Charity Seeds, along
with MUM alumna Christina Ring. They are helping small-scale famers become
self-reliant through sustainable growing methods so that they can feed their
families.Kim is partnering with John Jeavons’ organization that trains teachers
in John’s Grow Biointensive Sustainable Mini-Farming methods. These teachers
recruit the farmers and Charity Seeds provides them with seeds and trains them
how to save their seeds at the end of the growing season. Over the past six
years, they have helped install 12,000 small farms in Kenya and Uganda. In
addition, in those two countries, they are now building gardens and food
forests around schools and teaching children how to grow their own food.As his
thesis project, Kim is opening up a new Charity Seeds hub in Ecuador. In
addition to teaching farmers how to grow food sustainably, his organization is
also planning to support local artists, who turn seeds into jewelry, by selling
their hand-made products online. “We will make sure the whole process is
sustainable and benefits their lives,” said Kim. The project is also planning
to offer internship possibilities for MUM students in permaculture and
biodynamic agriculture.  |