 The New Yorker this week has a long article about what to expect from a Trump
presidency. It's isn't pretty. Global recession within eighteen months, among
other things.

It's impossible to believe that all the 35-40 million or more people who plan
to vote for Trump are unaware of all his faults, but I think what's operating
is the "He may be a bastard but he's OUR bastard" mentality. Which is why Trump
can say pretty much anything he likes and get away with it. I think we will see
this in the debates. The chances of Hillary making a blunder are very slight,
since she is very smart and experienced, but it is likely that Trump will make
many—and they won't make any difference at all. They won't even be perceived as
blunders.

It seems to me that America is too collectively stupid to repudiate Trump, and
the implications of that are very disturbing. How did it ever come to this?

 I basically don't watch TV and therefore Trump pre-Presidential election was a
virtual unknown to me. He holds no status and I have never seen The Apprentice
or followed what he has done in his life until now. Maybe others are so
familiar with him as this business dude, beauty pageant supporter and reality
TV star that they can't get past that and look at what he really is. I think
that is a big part of it - they are starstruck. To me he is everything Ollie so
cleverly describes him as. How anyone can ignore the reality of his Emperor
with no clothes shtick is beyond me and always will be, I fear.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <salsunshineiniowa@...> wrote :

 I HOPE most have woken up.  But I keep hearing some of the same verbiage I did
when Dubya ran, ie “Don’t worry if he’s not too bright, he’ll surround himself
with much smarter people and we’ll be ok.”  And we all know how that worked
out.

 Some people refuse to wake up.

 Sal

 On Sep 22, 2016, at 11:10 AM, olliesedwuz@... mailto:olliesedwuz@...
[FairfieldLife] <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Might as well relax now, since Trump is nowhere near winning this thing. He
also has no power, except to set greens fees on his golf courses, and send
minions out for more fast food. Once you get the hang of it, he is an easy one
to ignore. His agenda has nothing to do with me or anything I care about. He is
selfish, stupid and mean. Not a very evolved human being, a relic from the dark
ages, looking to the past for support and fearful of the future. The only
direction Trump leads anyone including himself, is straight down. Glad he won't
be leading anything, except the contest for most ludicrous and inappropriate
presidential candidate, ever.

Maybe if GW had not yet served and run the country into the ground for many of
the same reasons Trump would; arrogance, ignorance, emotional immaturity, using
the office to settle personal scores, surrounding himself with those who play
him like a hand puppet, the American voters would be taken in by this empty
braggart. But since then, most woke up to the fact that these are demagogues
out for their own childish ends, with nothing to offer except misery and
confusion. Bush paints dogs now, and Trump watches TV endlessly. Perfect. Keep
at it.

<awoelflebater@...> wrote :

<olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 I watch these poll averages closely, and noticed something different recently.
Until this last closing period between Clinton and Trump, when this happened in
the past, there was a brief period where Trump's poll average topped Clinton's
for just a few days. See the graph underneath the poll numbers on the RCP site.
This time around, it didn't happen, and she continues now to pull away from
Trump, again. This has never been a close race, and is now clearly widening in
favor of Hillary, led ironically by the GOP establishment, against Trump.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

 I completely agree with you and have felt so for a while. The press needs this
to look close. It is not and come election day we will all be vindicated and
poor Feste and all the others (me included) who live in a kind of fear and
anxiety about this thing will finally be able to relax.