on 12/17/05 5:29 AM, cardemaister at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> on 12/16/05 4:28 PM, braaahmaan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>
>>> Yikes -- I just read your post "carefully". You said "not ear
> plugs" .
>>
>> Maybe I would like earplugs, but my wife would be sharing these with
> me -
>> she would use them to watch TV and not disturb me while I'm
> meditating or
>> practicing tablas;
>
> How much do decent tablas cost? Do you always tune them
> up to the basic note of some raaga?

My tabla teacher (David Hurlin) can get a good set through his tabla teacher
in India for about $300. As Dr. Pete suggests, the same set would probably
cost $500 elsewhere. I haven't done that yet. I've only been playing a few
months and want to make sure I stick to it before investing in good ones. So
far I'm practicing regularly and progressing nicely.

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abEMxA/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM