> > One wonders since siddhi performance increases the force of our
> > delusions (maya-shakti) if that was the idea: increase delusion,
> > push sales.
>
> I believe a couple of alternate translations of this were
> suggested that said something quite different, but I don't
> recall your having commented on them.

I guess the suutra in question was this

mohaavaraNaat (moha + aavaraNaat) siddhiH

 Masculine and neuter gender words that
have /a/ as the last sound of their stem,
like deva-, yoga-, mantra- etc, indicate
the ablative singular case by adding /-at/
to the stem. In the suutras and also elsewhere,
the function of the ablative case is often
to indicate something like causation or result.
An example from Brahma-suutras, the endigs
isolated:

OM shAstra-yonittva-at
OM tat tu samanvaya-at OM
OM gauNash chenn Atma-shabda-at
OM tannishhThasya moxopadesha-at
OM svApyaya-at
OM gatisAmAnya-at

The meanings in SK:s translation seem to suggest
that ablatives above usually are translatable to
"because of":

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/bs_00.html

(To avoid confusion have removed the suutras with
different kind of ablative endings.)

I hope with that short "introduction" some of us
can render their own tranlations for the suutra
"mohaavaraNaat siddhiH".

moha m. unconsciousness, bewilderment, perplexity, swoon; error,
infatuation, darkness or delusion of mind (ph.), ignorance, folly.

aavaraNa a. covering, concealing; n. the same as subst. + shutting,
enclosing; obstruction, hindrance; cover, garment; bolt, lock; guard,
protection.

siddhi f. hitting or reaching the aim, attainment of an object,
performance, accomplishment, conclusion, result; success, prosperity,
welfare; perfection, supernatural power.

On the basis of the above meanings, even translation like
"protection from delusion [results to] perfection or success"
would seem acceptable! It's up to the reader what kind
of compound s/he likes to take "moha + aavaraNaat" above
(tat-puruSa -compound, karma-dhaaraya -compound...)

Does he tell you he loves you when he hits you? Abuse. Narrated by Halle Berry.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hemMeA/rbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM