A candidate's announcement that he or she practiced TM, specifically, would
tend to be a negative to the religious right and evangelicals generally. That's
a very significant voting bloc in this country.

 The science-oriented among the millennials would likely be skeptical of a
meditation practice associated with woo-woo like Yogic Flying or claiming
widespread positive results from meditating in a group.

 BTW, if I were you, I wouldn't paint large groups of religious people as
"rabid." Really doesn't look good coming from you.

 On the way to the White House the identification of voter blocs becomes key to
the work. In which blocs now would a candidate admitting to meditating be a
negative? A positive?

Yesterday in Fairfield, Iowa at a small shop we had a grocery bag stuffed with
a X-ian flier insert that was all about TM being religion, cult and dangerous.
Mindfulness practice maybe gets a pass and is not?

 Voter bloc, how much could confrontational conservative X-ians as a particular
vote bloc matter anymore to a candidate now admitting they meditate for their
own well-being?

 A 'meditating' candidate might be a plus to millennials. Can millennials and
Gen-X and Y outweigh the shrinking rabid religious X-ian bloc in America? Would
it be safe for any of the candidates to let it be known they meditate? Even
'hip'? ..Maybe in the next election cycle.

 That is an interesting distinction, what, that mindfulness being out of a
Buddhism teaching is possibly seen (by who?) as more benign?  Yet, recommending
‘meditation’ to patients as preventive medical practice is now a part of 'best
practices' of the AMA.

 Most voters would probably be OK with a mindfulness practice, but not with TM.

 In the postmodern now would it really be a liability towards getting votes
enough to the presidency for a candidate to admit they had learned to meditate?
 And even, that they do regularly stop to meditate?

 Generally about a 1 in 300 chance or a little better that any of these
baby-boom age candidates learned to meditate, given the population in the US in
the late 60’s and 1970’s. As you say, Depending on his attitude in the 1970s.

 Depending on his attitude in the 1970s Trump may have learned TM too.  It was