https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eg_YlI7l4E

Feeding 9 Billion: Turning the Desert Green: Qatar is trying to solve problems
for desert people worldwide.

Petroleum-rich Qatar is spearheading projects to tackle the problems facing
desert communities worldwide; from energy to fresh water and food production.
But does their expensive, high-tech solution make sense?

"Qatar in many ways is ground zero for a lot of the challenges we're going to
see in the century ahead", argues US ex-pat Jonathan Smith, from the Qatar
National Food Program. Soaring temperatures, swelling populations and minimal
rainfall plague the otherwise booming nation. Now its leaders are pushing
ambitious experiments like the Sahara Forest Project, transforming seawater and
sunlight into fresh water, vegetables, electricity, biofuel and animal feed.
"The techniques we're developing here can be applied in many regions in the
world", the project scientists insist.

Centre for Investigative Reporting: Ref-5870

Journeyman Pictures is your independent source for the world's most powerful
films, exploring the burning issues of today. We represent stories from the
world's top producers, with brand new content coming in all the time. On our
channel you'll find outstanding and controversial journalism covering any
global subject you can imagine wanting to know about.