Discourses at the Ammachi darshans in Detroit this week were a lot about making
a connection of cultivating/gaining spiritual strength from spiritual practices
along with compassionate humanitarianism, as you say.  Light in the body, feet
on the ground. "Do the work."

 Yifuxero writes:

 Thx, the case of a connection between Transcendence and compassionate
humanitarianism, perhaps can be undermined or even dismissed from a
Neo-Advaitic viewpoint by saying that Transcendence alone does not imply any
particular action.
 However, recent research coming from several areas does indeed bolster the
connection between Transcendence (if done by enough people) and Global Peace.;
but I must object to the idea that MMY made those connections.
 The new argument can be bolstered by merging 3  sources:  1. Sam Harris, 2.
The polyvagal axis theory, and 3. the brain's production of Oxytocin, which is
part of (2).
 First, from Neurophysiologist Harris:  (a reasoned hypothesis) That silent
medication may lead to increased awareness which leads to Empathy for others
(an ability to feel what others are feeling, in some way).  Finally, the
increased ability to Empathize leads to what the Buddhists call Compassion
(related to the love concept but slightly different).

 2. Second, the Polyvagal axis, already covered on this forum.  Thx Doug for
introducing this to the forum..
 3. The measurement of Oxytocin output after the subject engages in various
experimental activities.  Oxytocin is the body's "Love molecule".  For example,
petting animals might stimulate hormone.  High up on the list of activities
that generate an Oxy response is Compassionate meditation: (silent meditation
coupled with a feeling of Compassion).
 Therefore the missing ingredient not emphasized by MMY to any great extent is
Compassion.

 Shalom Aleichem

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Yes, the Domes in Fairfield quite evidently are activating places spiritually
too like these places are for an individual or collective.  There certainly is
a reality to that. Like sitting in gathered Quaker meetings meditating In
effect wages peace as place more profoundly founded in what is a silence of
their spiritual processes. Waging Peace now given these agitated and divided
times, the imperative seems to rise as we come to know more. This becomes like
a duty.  Duty for those who know how to pursue and wage radical peace
spiritually. To the call..to help,
 -JaiGuruYou

 Yifuxero writes:

 On the topic of group vs solitary meditation, having meditated in Charlie
Lutes' group, the Shakti was quote powerful, but so was meditating alone in the
SIMS initiation rooms.  But positively the MOST powerful Shakti site I've been
in was the Ramakrishna Vedanta Temple in Hollywood, CA.

 Thx Jim, another great essay on your part that I agree with. I've come up with
a hypothesis that moral values (as a set of ethics, a major branch of
philosophy), can ultimately be derived from Game Theory.  Some of the results
can be duplicated with a computer, but given the limited power of computers, we
would have to speculate on an overall conclusion with large numbers of people..
 Take tribal behavior.  There's an optimum population which gives rise to a
cohesive tribe (I believe it's approximately 150 people).  Too little, and the
members can't come together to formulate (not consciously), game-theoretic
rules which enhance tribal survival.  Division of labor for example. With too
many people, the tribe may break off into sects that ultimately war against
each other.  The more simplistic outcomes can be programmed using game theory,
matching what we observe.

 On the topic of Transcendence, I've come up with a new Koan: "Before
Enlightenment, an asshole chopping wood and carrying water.  After
Enlightenment, as asshole chopping wood and carrying water".  Thijs doesn't
apply to you.  I'm thinking of people like Adi Da, but that's a judgment on my
part.
 On the topic of group vs solitary meditation, having meditated in Charlie
Lutes' group, the Shakti was quote powerful, but so was meditating alone in the
SIMS initiation rooms.  But positively the MOST powerful Shakti site I've been
in was the Ramakrishna Vedanta Temple in Hollywood, CA.

 Shalom Aleichem

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <archonan...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 War is evil, and the moral equivalent of war is evil. You are using the wrong
terminology.

 If meditation brings peace, it is the antithesis of war, and of evil. It does
not achieve its results by conflict, but by stilling conflict.

 The universe shows no signs of morality. Morality does not come from the gods.
It is a derivative of social communal interaction for the common good. It comes
from us.

 The peace of meditation enhances the morality of those already inclined in
that direction, but there are many, many long time meditators that show no
sense of moral value at all.

 Meditation makes what already exists better defined and understood, but it
does not change reality, it reveals reality.

 Maharishi's World Plan does not appear in any way to have been a success
except within individual minds. The world is still in as much turmoil now as it
was.

 Look at what happened in the tale of the Bhagavad-Gita. Arjuna gains supreme
knowledge, and yet he saved, in essence, no one, and was a major agent in
destroying everyone involved in that conflict.

 As a social grace, those that like to meditate together is fine for them. It
brings a feeling of security in numbers. But the goal is self-sufficiency and
that means to achieve the same security without those numbers behind your back.

 Every spiritual organization that has ever proclaimed a heaven on Earth has
never achieved that goal. Inside their little group maybe, but outside, the
same old chaos and divisiveness.

 It is a nice thought though. Simply repeating the same refrain does not a
heaven make, it means something is stuck and cannot move on.

 "What we mean by intelligence is the thing we do that ensures that the problem
is efficiently solved and in a way that makes it appear effortless. And
stupidity is a set of rules that we use to ensure that the problem will be
solved in longer than chance or never and is nevertheless pursued with alacrity
and enthusiasm." —David Krakauer*

 *David Krakauer is President and William H. Miller Professor of Complex
Systems at the Santa Fe Institute. His research explores the evolution of
intelligence on earth. This includes studying the evolution of genetic, neural,
linguistic, social and cultural mechanisms supporting memory and information
processing, and exploring their generalities.