A spiritual renewal movement that aligns itself with, or allows itself to be
aligned with, particular social positions both alters itself in so doing but is
drawn away from its initial stance, at least in the eyes of potential
adherents, and thus both attracts those interested in the social policy
position rather than the spiritual aspect or repels people who would otherwise
have been attracted to the spiritual aspect but can’t “cotton to “ the policy
position.

 For instance, one way or another being known for some social action position,
like organic, vegetarian, and non-GMO food, or known for its spiritual
practice, is the TM movement or are TM ‘ers themselves a social justice or
spiritual renewal movement?  A problem with the TM group being known for
mundane social action positions is that social activism can redefine the group
differently from its origins of being a spiritual regeneration movement
promulgating Transcendentalism through transcendental meditationist practice.

 Discerning between spiritual community and political activism: walking a line
between spirituality or pacifism, anti-slavery, anti-war, or anti-GMO activism,

 in spiritual regeneration movements a position of policy rooted in methodical
abstinence from mundane political opinion on social issues is not without
example.

 During the Vietnam war years as Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was traveling the world
giving spiritual talks and teaching meditation, in the West he would generally
refrain from particular advice or partisan consultations about the Vietnam war
as to whether young people should be drafted or not into the armies to fight in
the Southeast Asia war or as to their seeking conscientious objection in
pacifism as a deferment from the war.

 Initially Quaker (Society of Friends) founders facilitated a spiritual
practice movement of meditation and, for instance, were neither a movement for
abolitionism or pacifism as they have later become well known for in their
narrative. Partly for their own safety within a larger society an early
consideration within their fledgling group that it was not necessarily their
place as a spiritual practice movement to be advocating social, political or
worldly position but that they were primarily a spiritual practice group, of
‘Friends’.

 For some time Quaker founding generations were conservative in this position
of not being antagonizing to the world around them in mixing their primary work
of regenerating spiritual practice with particular secular advocacy. This was
weighed with practical expediency and conscience with their working as a
broader public teaching organization. The workings of social conscience that
Quakers are now more readily known for came subsequently into the being of
their movement to become very much part of their current spiritual/religious
practice. These encroachments would come to their movement in time.

 Initially Quakers were more strictly a spiritual practice group of
meditationism and their social actions of conscience as a people have come
along to be adopted in a sequence.

 For example, see this link to what became a separating conflict within
Quakerism particularly over the primacy of their facilitating spiritual
practice of quietist group meditation as the ‘Quaker Meeting for Worship’
versus attempts to use the facility of Quaker Meetings by anti-slavery and
abolition activism. Narrative:
 Quakers Struggle and ‘Separate’ over Slavery in the United States..
 http://www.icelandichorse.info/salemantislaveryfriends.html
http://www.icelandichorse.info/salemantislaveryfriends.html

 In an initial concern for personal safety Mother Ann and the Shakers within
their forming spiritual group initially withdrew from broader society including
conscription and thereby incubated their early spiritual meditationist
movement.

 “..From their foundation, the early eastern Shakers lived in fear of the
broader world and of the possibility of persecution.  Persecution was deeply
embedded in their history and their narrative.  ..The most direct evidence of
the eastern Shaker mindset is the account of Ann Lee’s experience. Her
encounter with the outside world, first in England and then in America, is
portrayed in one of the earliest printed Shaker texts, .. , as a litany of
sufferings and persecutions.  ..The reality of religious persecution in early
America was undeniable.  It was therefore logical and legitimate for the early
Shakers, for fear of the world’s reaction, to avoid the world or keep it at a
distance.

 Beginning in America in 1774, Ann Lee and her followers chose to settle in
Waterviliet, New York, in “an obscure place in the wilderness, remote from the
public eye”.  Later as recounted.. ,  “The testimony was withdrawn from the
world about the year 1785 and was rarely open to any until about the year 1797.
 During this 12-year period of isolation from the world, the early eastern
Shakers consolidated their religious practice.  ..The chosen strategy was to
act, in terms of presence, according to what the world could accept.”
-Chavance, The Emancipation of Shakerism, Communal Societies, Journal of the
Communal Studies Association, V35,1. P52-54, 2016.

 Subsequently the Shakers would engage association with activist causes hoping
to revive their relevance as a spiritual group to an outside world.

 Similarly, a careful attempt at clarification in the placement of the
Transcendental meditationist movement with regard to mundane partisan
socio/political contentiousness in the world was decisively drawn out for the
2016 US elections by memo:

 Quoting pre-election (2016) e-mail memoranda sent around to the TM meditating
community:

 Excerpts..

 [“..
 “..The current elections are crucial to the future of our nation in many ways.
It is not just the executive; it is all three branches of government which hang
in the balance. Let’s use the powerful technology of group program that
Maharishi gave us to ensure the best possible outcome for the whole country.
 The evidence for the Maharishi Effect continues to mount up. Another
compelling, new study came out in February of this year, again based on
publicly available statistics. This is a scientific breakthrough that outstrips
all others in its power to do good for ourselves, our nation, and our world.
 Jai Guru Dev
 Raja John Hagelin
  ”]

 [“..
 P.S. Once again, we want to be clear that as a non-profit organization, we do
not support any one candidate over any other candidate. Natural Law, when
enlivened by our group practice, will support the best outcome for the nation.
This does not mean that we, as individuals, do not support specific candidates.
We do. And we should be sure to exercise our civic duty and vote for the
candidates we believe will serve the nation in the most evolutionary way.

 P.P.S. This does not mean that we, as individuals, do not support specific
candidates. We do. And we should be sure to exercise our civic duty and vote
for the candidates we believe will serve the nation in the most evolutionary
way.”

 Jai Guru Dev

 Raja John Hagelin and the
 Ideal Community Group       “]
 Those of you that have been going to the Domes recently will be aware that
many of our friends from across the country have joined us here in Fairfield
over the last week or so, and they have helped boost the overall attendance in
evening program to over 750 people.

 As really wonderful as this is, it falls significantly short of what we need
to create truly indomitable coherence for the nation. We therefore urge you to
come to as many group programs as you possibly can over the next few days to
maximize the coherence creating effect, and help us get as close to the ideal
super-radiance number as we possibly can. May we particularly urge you to
attend both group programs tomorrow — election day! Let’s see if we can double
the numbers we are getting at the moment, and shoot for even higher!

 [From an additional e-mail memo,

 Peer-reviewed, published, replicated, honest-to-goodness, gold-standard
scientific research leads us to make this heartfelt request of you: Come and
join us for meditation in Fairfield, Iowa for this post-election period of
time.

 “.. Jai Guru Dev,
 Ideal Community Group

 * We want to make it absolutely clear that neither Maharishi Foundation nor
MUM takes any position on national politics.     “]

 As with the early Quaker movement moving on from a more narrow spiritual
regeneration in promulgated collective meditation practice, what once began in
time as identified spiritual regenerative movement then transformed over
towards facilitating social reform.  Current organizations (21st Century)
within a reforming post-founder TM movement foster a relevance for themselves
through advocacies in revolutionary education, health, food safety,
agricultural, architectural, and GMO public policy reform. As this happens in
spiritual revival groups, is this transformation a formula in dilution of what
was originally gathered?

 Life-cycle within Communal Spiritual Groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/communal-studies-forum/ChNcesJm1Cs

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/communal-studies-forum/ChNcesJm1Cs

 https://sites.google.com/site/primitivequakers/
https://sites.google.com/site/primitivequakers/