1940's, Showing the Origins of ™..

 Nice quotes from the introduction below.

“i felt so happy with my mantra, but i kept forgetting it while my fingers were
moving automatically. In each round this happened! What can I do about it?!”

a wonderful smile was on Guru Dev’s face.
“FOUND!” he exclaimed. “You have learnt to transcend the mantra! Excellent! You
transcended the mantra which wants to go back to the source. The best thing
that can happen! When you are aware of having forgotten the mantra you quietly
pick up the mantra again and continue happily. This was very good meditation.
Continue meditating like that now and tonight and report to me tomorrow
morning.” So very happy checkings followed.’

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <he...@hotmail.com> wrote :

 This must be old news, but new to me:

 Before Guru Dev became Shankaracharya, on September 14th 1940 someone by the
name of Raj Varma made his way across Jabalpur to where Guru Dev was staying,
in order to become an initiate of Guru Dev:-

 'So before sunrise Dr. Varma came full of joy to his initiation. Guru Dev did
the puja with his fruit and flowers and then gave him his mantra and asked him
to sit down. He gave him a rosary. An indian rosary has mostly 108 beads. Guru
Dev told Dr. Varma to close his eyes and repeat the mantra and with every
mantra touch a new bead so that the rosary would go forward in his hand with
each mantra. Then he told him to only think the mantra easily without speaking
it any more while his fingers moving forward touched the beads. The rosary has
one extra bead attached to it where you start and where eventually you finish
the round of 108. When Guru Dev saw that Dr. Varma had reached the end of the
round at the extra bead, he told him to stop thinking the mantra. After some
time he told him to open his eyes slowly.

 Read more:

 http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/introduction.htm
http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/introduction.htm