To me, a kundalini crisis is an overwhelming mind-body experience caused by
spiritual practices.

Many spiritual movements speak of the kundalini energy center and its role in
enlightenment. It is a fairly common conception that a huge burst of energy
from the kundalini center can create an overwhelming experience akin to mania.

I don’t think I ever heard Maharishi speak of kundalini, but I had
conversations with other TM teachers about kundalini over the years. Here is a
link to a transcript of Maharishi speaking about kundalini in 1968
http://institutespiritualsciences.org/blog_mmy/mmykundalini.php

Here is an excerpt from my book:
The most scientific description of kundalini crises that I have found is in the
1992 book, The Kundalini Experience by Lee Sannella, M.D. Sannella interviewed
people who had come through kundalini crises. He came up with 4 categories of
experience: motor, sensory, non-physiological, and interpretive.

As motor phenomena, Sannella listed kriyas and unusual breathing patterns.
Under sensory phenomena, he listed tickling sensations, heat and cold
sensations, inner light, inner sounds, and pain in the eyes, head, spine, or
elsewhere. Under non-physiological phenomena, Sannella listed out-of-body
experiences and psychic perceptions.

As interpretive phenomena, Sannella listed both positive and negative feelings
that could be experienced with much greater intensity than usual such as
ecstasy, love, cosmic harmony, fear and confusion. He stated that the thinking
process could be speeded up or inhibited. The mental experience could be
detachment, hysteria, a state akin to schizophrenia, or the delusion of having
been divinely chosen.

Here are my symptoms which match Sannella’s descriptions:

●  When my kundalini crisis began, I had tingling all over my body. It felt
like a continuous, small electric shock sensation which was pleasant and
exciting.

●  I had extreme feelings of joy and thankfulness that seemed to be related to
my thoughts that I was enlightened. When I had delusions about achieving even
higher states of consciousness, I would subsequently be so ecstatic and so
thankful that I would start to cry.

●  All of my feelings were experienced with greater intensity than usual. When
I spoke, I spoke like a fire-brand preacher. My voice almost became raspy as if
I had been yelling at a sporting event.

●  I thought I had earned a special relationship with God and nature.