From Wikipedia:

 At the age of thirty-four, while meditating one morning, he reported to have
experienced the sudden and forceful awakening of Kundalini. In Kundalini: The
Evolutionary Energy in Man, he describes what happened:
 "The illumination grew brighter and brighter, the roaring louder, I
experienced a rocking sensation and then felt myself slipping out of my body,
entirely enveloped in a halo of light...I felt the point of consciousness that
was myself growing wider, surrounded by waves of light...I was now all
consciousness, without any outline, without any idea of a corporeal appendage,
without any feeling or sensation coming from the senses, immersed in a sea of
light simultaneously conscious and aware of every point, spread out, as it
were, in all directions without any barrier or material obstruction...bathed in
light and in a state of exaltation and happiness impossible to describe