https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-03/muom-fsf030917.php

 “The researchers first calculated a baseline trend for monthly fatality rates
during 2002-2006, and then used time series intervention analysis to compare
that baseline with the corresponding trend for the intervention period
2007-2010. A rapidly rising trend in the drug-related fatality rate (see Figure
1) during the baseline period leveled out and slowed significantly when the
Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi group exceeded 1,725 participants
beginning in January 2007 (vertical dashed line). This flatter trend continued
through 2010.”

 OK, these are “drug-related fatalities in general”, but, according to the TM
researchers' hypothesis for the intervention period 2007-2010, drug overdose
fatalities by opioid should show a fairly similar trend.

 Well, considering there is almost some kind of bias in groups of people with
agendas, I have to ask myself which graphs do I trust to be presented in as
unbiased a manner as possible?

 Now, to me, perhaps a science simpleton compared to those distinguished and
knowledgeable men and women, I would rather that facts be presented to me
plainly and simply, laying aside time-series-intervention-analysis for
see-the-data-as-it-really-is pictorially.

 https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6450a3.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6450a3.htm

 See FIGURE 2. Drug overdose deaths involving opioids, by type of opioid —
United States, 2000–2014

 So, forgive this one for his ignorance but to me the data here does not show a
marked decrease for the intervention period 2007-2010 for drug overdose deaths
involving:

 * Opioids  ---------

 * Natural and semisynthetic opioids  -----  -----
 * Synthetic opioids (excluding methadone)  -----  -----  --

 * Heroin  -- -- --

 Only methadone appears to have decreased over the intervention period
(2007-2010) to which the TM ME claim could be attributed, but this decrease
continues well beyond the intervention period through to 2014.

 Indeed:
 * Natural and semisynthetic opioid deaths increase during the intervention
period (2007-2010) up until 2011 and then decrease (2012, 2013).
 * Synthetic opioid (excluding methadone) deaths rise during the intervention
period (2007-2010) and decrease for a couple of years after the intervention
period (2011, 2012).

 This cannot be blamed on synthetic opioids (if that is a reason?) because
deaths by heroin clearly increased to the highest level during the claimed
intervention period (2007-2010) since the year 2000 (which makes complete sense
as *the increase in heroin initiates reached its peak (2009) during the
intervention period (2007-2010).
 See FIGURE 2 *

https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/report_1943/ShortReport-1943.html

https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/report_1943/ShortReport-1943.html

 Personally, the TM Sidhi program, even just the TM part, revives and
rejuvenates me with the aliveness of something ‘special’ which is just waiting
to be tapped in such a simple manner. My life would not be the same and I am
eternally grateful for this meditation practice.

 I would love for the TM ME research claims to be true but at present I
personally consider them well overstated even with the best intentions. I
rather think that the power and energy created is more localised to the group
itself and while there may be an enlivening and purification in the finer
etheric environment elsewhere, it is not on the scale claimed, for if it were,
I think we would see very different graphs.

 It is more about influence than anything else in my opinion. A calm, patient,
kind, determined, disciplined, selfless, enlivened being can meet 100 people in
a week and raise their consciousness even in the smallest, most subtle and even
unintentional manner. 1%. Surely 1 in 100 can do this through regular
meditation.