If you played the drums, you should be able to play bebop music well.  From
what I understand, one is supposed to play the chord tones on the downbeat, and
the non-chord  or passing tones on the upbeat.  Rick Beato at You Tube has an
excellent tutorial for playing bebop. style during solos.  However, this idea
is opposed to the concept of appogiatura which requires playing non-chord tones
on the down beat.  But a good musician should be able to use the appogiaturas
like salt and pepper in one's music repertoire.

 Haven't played "Connecticut Half Time" since my high school days.  What's
wrong with their performance?  They did okay.  They're playing it at a more
traditional slower tempo while if you watch the West Point Hellcats version
they play it faster.  The back end of that piece though gets really tricky.