A friend living here in Fairfield, Ia. was a student at MIU in the early days.
In sharing this account below of the Trappist Monks having learned TM back in
the 1970's, some of the monks from Spencer, Mass. then visited MIU in Iowa in
the early days wanting to see what was going on. They came to a class studying
comparative religion. This friend was in the class, the monks in talking with
the class observed that the TM mantras as they are used as sound in TM work
better than using "Jesus" as a mantra.  .. evidently too much meaning going on
with using "Jesus" for attempts at effortless transcendent meditation.

 Chanting maybe different than, meditating TM?

https://detechter.com/chanting-mantras-can-help-rewire-and-strengthen-nervous-system/

https://detechter.com/chanting-mantras-can-help-rewire-and-strengthen-nervous-system/

 The meditating Trappist monks..

 Separatism.
 The historical ‘separating’ of spiritual mystics from the creedal orthodoxy of
institutional ‘churches’ (Catholic, Lutheran, or Anglican) evidently is also
contemporary.

 In the early 1970’s as a ™ teacher I was able to visit and ‘check’ the
meditations of Cistercian trappist monks in Spencer, Mass  who after having
studied the spiritual experience of the ‘desert mystics’ and so many others of
the early Christian era found in themselves a lacking in spiritual depth of
experience where they then reached out for methodology outside their own
confines of practice.  These Spencer, Mass Trappist monks were earnest,
scholarly and dedicated spiritual seekers who set about finding better method
than what they had in their order. (At one point one of these monks exclaimed,
“Thank God for Vatican II!”).  Of course Thomas Merton, also a Cistercian in
the 1940’s, 50’s and 60’s, had done the same thing a generation before in his
visiting with Buddhism or Eastern practices and writing about his experience.

 The Spencer, Mass. monks proceeded then from their experience in learning to
meditate with ™ to abstract instruction from the ™practice and share with
others what they subsequently re-branded as “Centering Prayer”, a meditative
technique for lay people with features taken from ™.  Centering Prayer now is
widely taught as church adult education classes taught and supported by these
monks in courses with video and lectures as a transcendent meditative practice
for lay Catholic religious people. In a type of movement Centering Prayer now
has also crossed over as progressive spiritual practice methodology to
Protestant churches.

 A couple years ago I visited the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky where I found
the legacy of Thomas Merton supporting a thriving monastic community serving as
a Merton pilgrimage site, with a modern museum and a bookstore doing active
business vending in so many books by and about Thomas Merton.

 By contrast a few weeks ago I visited New Mallory Abbey near Dubuque, Iowa.
In the 1980’s I had opportunity to visit and stay at New Mallory in their guest
house quite a lot. I was excited recently to be able to return and visit back
there and also see their bookstore.  In their bookstore  surprisingly I found
not a book on Centering Prayer and one by Thomas Merton on a bottom shelf, by
contrast. A little puzzled after this visit there to New Mallory I asked around
about this seeming ‘edit’ and obvious blank and was told that some in the
Church feel those teachings are heretical to the Holy Father Church. Even
within the Church today?  Evidently dangerous for being out of control
(unorthodox) the mystics in cultivated spiritual experience and by their
critique in transcendentalism are still ‘separated’ from the orthodox.

 “They who believe their practice is best are devotees
 They who believe their technique is the only are zealots.”
 -Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

 Re Separatists, In Quiet, European ancestral genealogy of transcendentalism