FW:

 Friday night’s holiday reception for alumni—organized by Sam Johnson, Celeste
Siemsen, Leah Waller, Mira Daniels, and Genevra Williams—totally warmed our
hearts, despite the frigid Iowa night. It was great seeing so many alumni
sharing memories and updates, reconnecting and renewing friendships.
 Sam kindly offered me the opportunity to say a few words about the many
changes that have transpired at Maharishi School in the past decade, but it
wasn’t the time or place to go into much detail. So I wanted to follow up with
some points, hopefully of interest to you.
 Alumni Voices Be Heard
 In the almost 10 years since Andrea and I returned to Maharishi School, I’ve
heard from a lot of alumni about their school experience—both glowing
commendations and candid criticisms. The flow of feedback started the day we
returned and hasn’t subsided since: in formal and informal conversations; in
meetings with alumni on our faculty and staff (currently 10) and Board of
Directors (6 now); in the Constituent Survey of 2011 (submitted by over 140
alumni); and in recent postings in social media.
 Maharishi School 6.0
 Having been around at the start of the secondary school in 1981, I’ve seen the
school pass through several distinct phases over the years. From my
perspective, we’re at Maharishi School version 6.0—at least.
 That kind of change may be normal for institutions. But our story is loaded
with unique twists and turns, since our school was born within a larger
institution (Maharishi University) and is embedded in a national/global
movement that passed through many changes over the decades. Those were
reflected in the School, and continue to be.
 From the Past to the Present
 What’s come through loud and clear is the extreme range of past experiences,
from heartfelt accolades to many that are painful to recall or hear. As Head of
School, and one of the School’s founding faculty, I feel a responsibility to
our alumni, to ensure that you know you are heard.
 My intent in what follows is not to balance perspectives. I am not citing your
comments about benefits gained, relationships forged, appreciation shared.
Those are deeply valued by all of us who have been associated with the school
over these decades.
 The purpose here is twofold: to acknowledge issues and to describe changes
that may be of interest to alumni. I hope this update will provide both
information and some reconciliation.
 Changes
 TM and TM-Sidhis grading policies relaxed and simplified SCI transformed by
Tasha and Jeremy Jones and Owen Blake Encourages critical thinking Taught in
context of other theories Incorporates social and emotional learning and
leadership topics Academics Spanish is offered as our foreign language AP exams
taken in 9 subjects over last three years Investment in new textbooks with
digital versions, throughout Upper School WiFi and personal computer use
throughout the school Electives: Project Period is a 70-minute class each day
for quarter-long electives, both teacher-designed and student-designed
Examples: Music Composition, Art Portfolio, Entrepreneurship, Screenwriting,
Robotics, Rocketry, Culinary Arts, Coding, Aquaponics, Novel Writing, Food
Blogs, Architecture Human sexuality topics included in our comprehensive
Holistic Health curriculum De-stigmatize mental health challenges Professional
counseling service available to students Diversity responsive learning
environment More than 30 countries represented in school community
Presentations and workshops on diversity topics: racial, gender,
spiritual/religious Gender inclusive learning environment: Presentations and
workshops on gender spectrum and fluidity Welcoming LGBTQ+ students School
uniform is gender neutral, including slacks for girls Anti-bullying policy and
procedure Accountability for both students and teachers when issues arise Open
communication, with mechanisms for feedback from students and parents
Achievements
 I mentioned Friday night that our current students are “standing on the
shoulders” of the alumni who pioneered our Consciousness-Based approach to
education and who excelled in so many extracurricular activities. You set a
high standard for success to which our students aspire….and sometimes attain
(in 2016-17):
 Speech: Critic’s Choice in Musical Theatre last year Destination Imagination:
1st Place at Global Finals and special DaVinci Award for Creativity Tennis:
Boys District Triple Crown and State Runner-Up in Singles Science:
International winner in BioGenius competition and 3rd at INTEL Science and
Engineering Fair Initiatives
 Now we are poised for a major advancement of Maharishi School. Our Board of
Directors has spearheaded a new 5-Year “Good to Great” Plan to:
 Raise compensation levels to attract and retain faculty and staff Enhance
marketing outreach with a new website design and social media campaign Expand
recruiting both domestically and internationally, with a new dormitory option
This spring we will again distribute a Constituent Survey as part of our 7-year
accreditation cycle with the Independent Schools Association of the Central
States (ISACS). We take your input to heart, so we will appreciate your time in
completing the survey.

 Thanks for reading all the way through this summary. You are an important part
of our school community and are always welcome to visit or send comments,
questions, or concerns.

 Have a wonderful, fulfilling New Year,

 Richard

 From: "Dr. Richard Beall"