I think he's completely relevant as a teacher.  However, he is not the only
teacher or teaching that is relevant (to today's society, for example—and I
speak only to the U.S.).  Exploring different angles on a similar theme (i.e.
attachment), finding the meditation technique that best works for one at the
place they're at, being part of a community —these are important things.

 I am completely in favor of bringing meditation to schools.  Did you see this?

 http://www.newsweek.com/parent-concern-florida-school-rifle-fundraiser-810356
http://www.newsweek.com/parent-concern-florida-school-rifle-fundraiser-810356

 I cannot go on record as saying that I would only support TM in schools.
Whatever practice they learn, even if it were a half hour of just dialectical
behavior therapy (DBT) techniques would be awesome.  I could have totally
benefitted from such a thing when I was in school and it could have changed the
trajectory of my entire life—in a positive way.  Or not....ha.

 Is interesting in this to chart how a lexicon of critique employed by
Maharishi would migrate through the long decades towards making what is
mystically abstract more concrete. Consciousness and Being, relative and
Absolute, bound and Unbounded -ness, attachment, detached, un-attachment.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

 What I love about you is your positive and friendly and non-judgmental
attitude!

 Tell me, what are you trying to accomplish in doing TM?  Enlightenment?  What
do you think that is going to get you?  What are you expecting to feel like?
What are you hoping for?  I'm guessing that you want what all human beings
want, regardless of how they try to get there.

 It's alright, I realize that this is a forum where TM and MMY are elevated to
a place of unique and radiant brilliance such  that no other tradition or
person in the history of mankind could even begin to measure up.

 To my way of thinking and perceiving....many others, and I mean many, have had
similar insights - MMY rehashed wisdom that has been around for centuries.  His
insights aren't novel.  Doesn't mean he isn't brilliant and all that he was
experienced as when he was alive.

 For you to summarily dismiss the entire body of wisdom around the word
"detachment" as false is an incredible statement.  Cracks me up.

 thank you, this has got to be the most important quote of Maharishi's that we
have to remind people of, false ideas about Yoga and detachment are so
ingrained in people not just in the west but most of all in India, including
some individuals who are acting in Maharishi's name who repeat that tired out
false attitude of detachment  junk

 .

 Question: "I understand that in the third state of consciousness [waking] we
are bound by the effects of our actions and our material possessions. My
question is: do material possessions, material ownership, wealth, inhibit
our...."
 MAHARISHI: "Let me remark at this point, at this stage of your question: We
are not bound by material possessions EVER. We are bound by the non-awareness
of the Unbounded. As long as we are not aware of the Unbounded, we are bound by
EVERYTHING.
 We are not bound by our material possessions. Material possessions don't bind
us. What they do is liberate us from the pangs of unfulfilled desires. Our
desire is to get this and this and this, and then if we don't get, we feel
miserable. Whatever we have, that is a solace to us in that misery. Material
possessions are not a means of bondage. If anything they are a source of solace
in our weakness. They do not bind us. If anything, they are a source of solace,
contentment, happiness, joy, peace.

 Possessions will always be a means of joyfulness. It is the non-possessions
that bind us in the craving to get them. Do you see the point? It is something
that we don't possess, that non-possession binds us in the craving to possess
it. Possessions are not a bondage. They are a means of joy, happiness.
 What is bondage? Lack of awareness of the Unbounded. That means: ignorance,
ignorance of our unbounded nature, ignorance that the Self within is unbounded,
eternal, infinite, absolute, bliss. Lack of knowledge about this is ignorance,
and this ignorance is a bondage to us. Material possessions are never a
bondage. They are a means of happiness."
 ---Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Aug. 1970, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA USA

  • [FairfieldLife] L... dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLi... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLi... srijau
      • [Fairfie... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]