Brahmananda Saraswati, Maharishi’s teacher (aka, Guru Dev), was both nuanced
and practical in his talks about this subject, with a sense of humor too.
Taught of character and morality in this too as they relate to human evolution.
Once you get in to the discourses and find his voice in them the teaching is
not so authoritarian but folk practical.  See:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lb-shriver-and-translation-by-cynthia-ann-humes/the-sweet-teachings-of-the-blessed-sankaracarya-swami-brahmananda-saraswati/paperback/product-21350609.html?ppn=1

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lb-shriver-and-translation-by-cynthia-ann-humes/the-sweet-teachings-of-the-blessed-sankaracarya-swami-brahmananda-saraswati/paperback/product-21350609.html?ppn=1

 .

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.ma...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 "Balanced, nuanced, and realistic."  Nice.  Yes, to each his own.  I  feel the
need at times to counter what comes across to me as absolutism.

 Clearly MMY was (or is, for those who believe this way) a person with
extraordinary charisma and energy and presence and vision and love, too.  The
movement and practice and knowledge he successfully introduced, translated, and
interpreted for, and marketed to, the Western masses is astounding.
---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <salsunshineiniowa@...> wrote :

 On Feb 19, 2018, at 6:35 PM, emily.mae50@... mailto:emily.mae50@...
[FairfieldLife] <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 What I love about you is your positive and friendly and non-judgmental
attitude!

 Lol

 Tell me, what are you trying to accomplish in doing TM?  Enlightenment?  What
do you think that is going to get you?  What are you expecting to feel like?
What are you hoping for?  I'm guessing that you want what all human beings
want, regardless of how they try to get there.

 It's alright, I realize that this is a forum where TM and MMY are elevated to
a place of unique and radiant brilliance such  that no other tradition or
person in the history of mankind could even begin to measure up.

 For some that’s obviously still true, but most others over the years have
reached a much more balanced, nuanced and realistic view of MMY.   Those who
feel the need to still carry on with that kind of hero-worship I just find sad,
not to mention immature and groveling.  Not that there’s anything wrong with
that of course...

 To my way of thinking and perceiving....many others, and I mean many, have had
similar insights - MMY rehashed wisdom that has been around for centuries.  His
insights aren't novel.  Doesn't mean he isn't brilliant and all that he was
experienced as when he was alive.

 For you to summarily dismiss the entire body of wisdom around the word
"detachment" as false is an incredible statement.  Cracks me up.

<no_re...@yahoogroups.com mailto:no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

 thank you, this has got to be the most important quote of Maharishi's that we
have to remind people of, false ideas about Yoga and detachment are so
ingrained in people not just in the west but most of all in India, including
some individuals who are acting in Maharishi's name who repeat that tired out
false attitude of detachment  junk

      • [Fairfie... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [Fai... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]