What is Maharishi Gandharva Veda? How is it different from most modern
Gandharva Veda?
 The ancient Vedic texts delineate music of two types: desi which brings
pleasure to the senses, and marga which focuses on enlivening those frequencies
in nature which bring life into accord with natural law. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
inaugurated his Program to Create World Peace in 1986, and he introduced
Maharishi Gandharva Veda music for promoting balance and peace. Since then,
this music has been studied and performed by musicians who are highly trained
and skilled in both theory and practice of Maharishi Gandharva Veda.
 Maharishi Gandharva Veda follows strict rules of melodies played according to
proper season, proper time of day, proper instrumentation, proper intent. The
music is for marga, for enlightenment.
 The alamkaras, or ornamentations, used in each Maharishi Gandharva Veda melody
(raga) reflect the pure frequencies of nature. It takes some skill to produce
these ornamentations. The students receive proper training in these precise and
necessary structures of knowledge. Most importantly, the students also practice
the Transcendental Meditation® technique in order to bring their conscious
awareness to the level of the Unified Field of All the Laws of Nature, the
field of pure consciousness, of pure intelligence, from which all sound arises.
By attuning with this fundamental field of consciousness, the quality of music
which such a musician plays resonates more purely with these primordial
melodies and rhythms, thus making the music more powerful in its effects.
 Sitarist Debhu Chaudhuri oversaw the theoretical development of Maharishi
Gandharva Veda music. He is a ninth generation Gandharva musician who
immediately saw and understood Maharishi's vision.
 Why did you become interested in Maharishi Gandharva Veda?
 My parents invited Maharishi Mahesh Yogi to use our home
http://www.amazon.com/Maharishi-433-Mahesh-United-States/dp/B0006DYF52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199306552&sr=1-1
 for a few months back in 1959. Until 1968, he regularly stayed at our home
whenever he visited the USA.
 In 1987 I was attending one of the first concerts on Maharishi Gandharva Veda
offered at MUM in Fairfield Iowa USA. During the concert I found I was
transcending for minutes at a time, no breath, no thoughts. The music became my
metabolic rate, my inner thinking process settled into an amazing state of calm
contentedness. I just found the stress from daily living melting away. I came
away from the concert refreshed in mind, body and spirit. The same kind of
experience happened during each of the concerts I attended afterwards. That
made me wonder, "What is it about this music that produces such a sublime
experience of calm?" And so my quest to answer this question became the focus
of my Ph.D. dissertation.
 What did you learn about Maharishi Gandharva Veda?
 So that I could be objective in my studies, I purposefully avoided learning
the mechanics of Maharishi Gandharva Veda, and how to perform Maharishi
Gandharva Veda music.
 It was the first Ph.D. dealing with the topic of research on Maharishi
Gandharva Veda in the West. I did my studies at Maharishi University of
Management in Fairfield, Iowa. So little was known about the research topic
that one of my outside advisors told the others that I had actually written
five dissertations. So quite a lot of information is provided in a general way
with this breakthrough study.
 The Journal of Social Behavior and Personality
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=27326 is a peer reviewed journal that
published some of my research with the title "Empirical Investigation of the
Effects of Maharishi Gandharva Veda Music During Live Concerts
http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?UIN=174167331&ETOC=RN"; in 2005. This
study tested for relationships between exposure to live concert performances of
Maharishi Gandharva Veda music and changes in feelings associated with
Maharishi Ayur-Vedic doshas http://mapi.com/en/self_care/index.html. Our 609
subjects in this study filled in a questionnaire before and after the concert
that measured how they were feeling, which we later converted into measurements
of vata, pitta and kapha emotional balance. The study showed that the concerts
significantly balanced emotions, reduced tension (vata imbalance), decreased
irritability (pitta imbalance) and reduced lethargy (kapha imbalance). (See Dr.
Olson's dissertation abstract http://www.mum.edu/library/abstracts/olson.html)
 Where can students learn Maharishi Gandharva Veda in America?
 Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa offers a Bachelor of
Arts degree and a minor in Maharishi Gandharva Veda. mum.edu
http://www.mum.edu/cmvs/ba/gandharva.html
 How can our readers listen to Maharishi Gandharva Veda?
 Free short samples of are on the website Maharishi Gandharva Veda: The Eternal
Music of Nature http://www.maharishi-gandharva.org/page6.htm plus CDs are
available for sale.
 Maharishi University of Management Press sells audio tapes and CDs of
Maharishi Gandharva Veda, including an interview with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on
the subject, and a full range of instrumental and vocal selections.
mumpress.com http://mumpress.com/s_music.html
 How can Maharishi Gandharva Veda help create peace?
 All of creation is constructed of sound frequencies. Combination of these
sound structures produce melodies. The melodies and sound frequencies produced
by Maharishi Gandharva Veda music resemble these frequencies structured by
Natural Law. Some melodies are for specific purposes: e.g. the rain melody is
specifically for bringing rain. And some melodies are for producing peace in
the individual, the nation, the environment, the world.
 I encourage musicians in every country throughout our world to learn to play
this music. They can create peace by playing those melodies of nature that
structure peace. Play the melodies of peace.
 ®Transcendental Meditation, Maharishi Gandharva Veda, are registered or common
law trademarks licensed to Maharishi Vedic Education Development Corporation
and used under sublicense or with permission.
 http://www.lokvani.com/lokvani/article.php?article_id=4611
http://www.lokvani.com/lokvani/article.php?article_id=4611