Fascinating.  I Googled the author and title to read the entire piece.  I
taught and practiced TM for over 35 years.  It was invaluable earlier in my
life.  I look on my spiritual journey as starting with being a devout Catholic,
experiencing spiritual malaise, finding TM, dissatisfaction, flirtation with
New Age "vacuity", and finally transitioning to a more fulfilling Vedic
teaching and practice.  All the steps were valuable.  It's sort of like taking
a train to a certain point, then switching trains, then another.  Each has its
purpose and value.