> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> > I wonder how the TMO compares with other spiritual movements
> > in terms of this problem.
>
> I can't speak for all other spiritual movements,
> but I'd say that it's in the same ballpark as
> other spiritual movements whose primary myth is
> centered around the importance of one's own
> personal enlightenment. (As opposed to movements
> in which the highest ideal is service to others
> or working for the enlightenment of all beings.)

In fact, of course, service to others and working
for the enlightenment of all beings is exactly what
the highest ideal is in TM.

It's just that in MMY's teaching, the means is to
become enlightened oneself, on the theory that the
effectiveness of one's service to others is
dependent on the degree of one's own enlightenment.
Plus which, the *process* of becoming enlightened
is said itself to be service to others and to
contribute to their eventual enlightenment.

Whether that approach *works* is another question,
as is whether it has immediate ramifications that
appear to conflict with the long-term goal.

But it's important, it seems to me, to frame the
questions accurately to start with.