[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a message dated 1/3/06 9:41:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>The  price of TM is: $52 a month over 4 years, which is $12 a week,
>or $1.70 a  day. Even poor people in the US spend WAY more than this
>on coffee,  unhealthy fizzy drinks, and many more unhealthy
>unnecessary things every  day.
>If one did it over 2 tears instead of 4, then it is still only $3.40
>a day. Anyone who has the will to, can afford TM in the US.
>
>When I  first wanted to learn about yogic knowledge, I was ready to
>give up  everything and travel to India to find what I was looking
>for, at great  risk to myself and my future. You are now proclaiming
>to the people of the  world that they should not give up their cafe-
>lattes for Vedic knowledge?  This incredibly selfish, since you have
>already had the benefit of the  knowledge. Many people in the world
>have nothing to absorb the stress  which pushes down upon them
>everyday. As a beneficiary of a practice that  you can practice any
>day, any where, even in a prison, and find relief, if  you have any
>conscience at all you should be telling as many people as you  can,
>that TM only costs $3.40 a day for 2 years  !
>
>OffWorld
>

>The average uninitiated person isn't going to give up their  minor comforts,
>pleasures, and bad habits to satisfy their curiosity about  something so
>abstract. Especially if finding a regular practicing TMer is  so rare and
>there are
>so many that learned and quit. You have to consider there  are many times
>more people out there to say theylearned TM and got little or  nothing out of
>it
>than can say it has opened the universe to them. Twenty -five  hundred dollars
>is a very big commitment to the average person. To some, its  represents a
>couple of mortgage payments, four, five or six car payments,  Healthcare
>insurance premiums etc, things the average middle class person will  not give
>up or
>risk not having in the future  should he be between jobs for  a period of
>time.
>Vedic knowledge? What the hell is that to the average person  of western
>culture? It means nothing to them.< If TM is going to out survive  it's
>current
>practitioners it has to shake the cult image, stop all the Vedic  this and
>Vedic
>that BS, get rid of the religious overtones and charge prices the  average
>person can whip out a check book and right a check on the spot without a
>second
>thought to pay for the course. It needs to return to being an  organization
>fun to work for and one not need to fear being black balled by  others on
>power
>trips. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, and Pure  consciousness
> [...]
Exactly.  As I stated here in another thread $75 to "try" TM wasn't that
much.  At that time I had already had an experience of kundalini rising,
learned some yoga asanas and also learned some of the self-inquiry
techniques of Ramana Maharishi and his followers.  I wanted a mantra
meditation to deepen what I already was experiencing.  I knew about
other organizations but many appeared cult-like whereas at the time TM
didn't at all.  I was drawn mainly by recommendations of friends and
MMY's paperback "Transcendental Meditation" where he addressed current
social concerns from the beginning.  It seemed much more practical than
chanting in the streets or going to weekend "intensives."  More likely
these days people will pass on TM due to price and seek out other
organizations even if they go through several to find something that is
right for them.  It's good experience anyway.