--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It sounds like in the early-early days Guru Dev's teaching
> was still fairly fresh in his awareness, but that the freshness
> diminished as time passed, to the point where he now represents
> a teaching quite alien to that of Guru Dev's.
> That is the corrupting force of materialism, which he appears
> not to have been a match for.
> Just my opinion.

I doubt that it's just your opinion; that is, I
suspect quite a few people share it. Materialism
(the corrupting power of money and...uh...power)
is one thing; that's certainly a factor in the
long-term playing out of any spiritual teacher's
"career." One of the other factors though, one
that isn't talked about as much because it's more
occult, is the corrupting power of *attention*.

I know of a number of spiritual teachers whose
*own* spiritual teachers suggested that they were
not ready to become teachers, but who did so anyway.
In retrospect, it occurs to me that the thing they
weren't ready for was having the attention of
hundreds or thousands or even tens of thousands
of students focused on them.

For the people here who have been TM teachers (or
teachers in other traditions) and who have stood
in front of large audiences (500 to 1000 or more),
you might have some idea of what I am talking
about. When I used to teach the Asilomar Christmas
courses, which tended to attract 500 to 1500
participants, I quickly learned that I was going
to need a week to recover from teaching the course.
In my case, I always arranged to hole up in a
cabin in Big Sur for the week following the course
and spend some time meditating and walking in the
woods to recover my sanity and my sense of balance.
Otherwise, I would have taken the *imbalance* I
always felt after teaching those courses back with
me to the Regional Office and allowed it to express
itself there.

It's difficult to describe to someone who hasn't
been there, done that. The best I can come up with
is that when you are the *focus* for a bunch of
students' attention, especially if they are round-
ing or practicing long meditations, you are basic-
ally being *touched* by their auras when they
focus their attention on you. If their attention
field is experiencing some roughness or (in TM-ese)
"unstressing," it cannot help but affect you as
well, because you are the object that their
attention field is focused on.

Now imagine being a young, naive guy from India
who has either lived with his mother or in an
ashram all his life, and who suddenly winds up
not only being the object of focus of tens of
thousands of TM students but the object of focus
for the world press (as a result of ripping off
the Beatles' share of mass attention). It would
be a miracle if he *had* handled it gracefully.
In my opinion, such a miracle did not occur.