> On Jan 7, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Patrick Gillam wrote:
>
> > One of the exciting things that Maharishi attempted to do
> > was make a connection between spiritual growth and
> > practical daily behavior. It turned out to be a tougher
> > connection than I ever imagined it would be.
>
> That's because, IMO, TM as a method does not work on the level of
> transformation to uproot vasanas. Vasana-kshaya, the obliteration
of
> subliminal tendencies (desires), takes place at a different level
of
> practice.
>
> I liked the example Alan Wallace gave in the video link posted
here
> the other day: the issue with samadhi is people would go into
these
> sublime states and be wowed by the bliss--but when they came out
of
> samadhi, they really hadn't changed! That's the problem with
> marketing something as being able to be everything and do
everything--
> people begin to actually believe if they do something over and
over
> improvement in vasanas will just happen. Sadly, increasing prices
on
> something just reinforces the idea: 'if it is so expensive, it
must
> be because it CAN do everything.'
>
> If you're not doing practices to obliterate vasanas, then don't
> expects that to just happen.

I tend to agree, with one distinction. Once the practice of TM has
matured, it is like a room that we occupy, with doorways to other
areas we may wish to affect easily seen, and accessible. So although
the obliteration of subliminal tendencies is not specifically
addressed by TM, with practice, it becomes evident how to address
this.