--- anonymousff2 wrote:

> M suggests that comedy is only funny because it presents
> something "odd" in the context of some "evenness," where the
> evenness has to do with the good feeling that exists between the
> comedian and the audience, and the oddness has to do with an
> unexpected way of looking at something.

Thanks for this. Explanations for humor are totally
unfunny in themselves, but I always find them interesting.
What a pleasant explanation to juxtapose odd and even.

The hardest I ever saw Maharishi laugh was on a tape
when he was saying the wholeness gets broken into
pieces -- and there he cracked up. He kept trying to
say it again -- "into pieces!" -- and the concept slew
him. It was so absurd, the thought that wholeness
could be broken.

> But if someone who does not give you an "at home" feeling starts
> laughing "at" you, they are just emphasizing the gap between the two
> of you, increasing the discomfort level. If their goal was to help
> you laugh at yourself, they will have failed.

What's beautiful is when someone who doesn't give
you a feeling of "at homeness" makes you laugh, and
you feel at home with the person. I've heard Paula
Poundstone do that on numerous occasions.

On the Tonight Show, I think it was, she said she
wasn't that interested in sex. Dead silence. Is she
going to talk about being a lesbian? She says, "If I
got married, it would have to be to a Mormon. That
way I could let one of the other girls have my night."

The audience was in the palm of her hand from there out.