> on 1/14/06 11:12 AM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Actually, not only are live animal sacrifices
> > prescribed in the Vedas, they are still common
> > in modern-day India.  As it turned out, this
> > service (the "Heifer Foundation") seems to be
> > completely benevolent, and has nothing whatsoever
> > to do with them.  I was merely curious as to
> > whether it did.  Vaj set me straight; it's an
> > organization that arranges gifts of live animals
> > to help people living in poverty become self
> > sufficient.  Sounds like a good deal to me.
>
> My sister donated to this as her Christmas present to us. I read their
> literature and got a good feeling about the whole thing.

My brother-in-law has visited their facility in Arkansas.  While
visiting him recently, he showed us a tape of their activities.  They
not only donate the animals, but come in to the village and educate
the people on how to care for them.  Those who accept the animals
agree to give the offspring to other villagers, so others can share in
the benefits.  so it seems that there is followup, and doesn't seem
likely that cattle would be donated for a Vedic sacrifice (also, I
think the Heifer foundation people are Christian).

Stokes