--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On Jan 20, 2006, at 9:10 PM, qntmpkt wrote:
> >
> > > being part of
> > > the Saivite Tradition of Shankara
> >
> > It would appear Shankara was a Vaishnav.
>
> Being said to be an incarnation of Shiva -- that would
be "interesting".

Yup. Shankara is "N. of Shiva or Rudra":

2 zaMkara mf(%{I})n. causing prosperity , auspicious , beneficent
Nir. MBh. BhP. ; m. ***N. of Rudra or S3iva*** VS. A1s3vGr2. MBh.
&c. ; of a son of Kas3yapa and Danu VP. ; of Skanda AV.Paris3. ; of a
serpentdemon L. ; of a Cakra-vartin L. ; ***N. of various authors and
commentators , (esp.) of S3am2kara7ca1rya***