Yes I was aware of this. Much of it, from what I had read in the
past, seems to be part scientific materialist vs. higher states of
consciousness debate. It would be virtually impossible for a hard-
core materialistic scientist to understand the states of
consciousness these peoples were accessing. There are a number of
tribes in Africa in which the majority of the people are spiritually
awake. Or at least there were. Many in Mali are being destroyed by
infection of Islam and other Abrahamical "religions" which don't
support or even allow such "pagan" or "primitive practices.

This the relevance of the song and it's theme of scientific
materialism and the limitations of the waking state.