> --- Irmeli Mattsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > There is a little booklet written by a Finnish
> > clergyman Raimo Mäkelä.
> > He has been working for the Finnish Established
> > Church. The title of
> > the book would be in English something like : "The
> > healthy mind as a
> > mask." It was published in 2001.
> >
> > There he describes  a certain personality type,
> > which he calls the
> > psychopath, or the narsissistic personality. His
> > view is, apparently
> > through his own difficult experiences, that people
> > with this disorder
> > abound inside the Churches, and also in important
> > positions there.
> >
> > He sees the only way to avoid abuse and damage done
> > by these people to
> > be to learn to recognize those people, and not
> > letting them get in
> > leading positions. And if they have gotten in those
> > positions and you
> > recognize having one as your boss, it would be
> > better to leave.
> >
> > He has written the concise booklet in order to
> > improve people's
> > discrimination in this respect. Many people have
> > told the book was for
> > them a real eye-opener. Almost everyone of us has
> > experienced at some
> > point serious frustration, or felt having been used,
> > by people with
> > those characteristics.
> >
> > These people most probably continue to exist, and
> > they have very
> > strong cravings for being seen as superior and for
> > power. Because this
> > condition is very common, I personally am suspicious
> > of every person,
> > who has created him/herself a situation, where
> > he/she is seen as a
> > superior being, whose actions are beyond our
> > capacity of judgement.
> > I'm also very suspicious of everyone, who has
> > created himself a
> > saintly image.
> >
> > In Finnish the word for saint is "pyhimys". It is
> > very close to the
> > Finnish word "ylimys", wich means aristrocrat. The
> > word "ylimys" is
> > derived from the adjective "ylimielinen", which
> > describes someone who
> > considers himself to be superior to others and so he
> > doesn't respect
> > the others.
> >
> > Irmeli
>
> The old addage by Nietzsche, "Power corrupts and
> absolute power corrupts absolutely." I wonder how many
> of those who abuse their power by using others to
> gratify their own desires start out that way? Perhaps
> the temptation is so great and the resistance so low
> by the "object' that it is near impossible to resist.

****
This is most certainly part of the truth. But it doesn't explain why
the abusers often resort to very tricky manipulations and lies in
order to get what they want? In spite of their positions the abuse is
usually not easily done with open cards. It is not just a candy you
can take almost by mistake, when your attention is somewhere else.
Lot's of planning, hiding and lies are needed. And these people also
nowadays risk their careers, which makes them feel wanting to shout:
Damn Democracy.

Irmeli

Irmeli