--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nobody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Om Swastyastu,
>
>   What does the sloka mean?
>

> cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   tatsthaM vicaarayet khaM khaM khasthaM khasthena saMvishet
>   khaM khaM tyaktvaa khamaaruhya khasthaM khaM coccarediti
>
>   I think "kham" is pronounced almost exactly like English "come".

Actually I have no idea! This is just a wild guess:

May s/he ponder (vicaarayet) the "kha" which-is-staying-in-that
(tat-stham), may s/he enter (saMvishet) the "kha" that-is-staying-
in-the-"kha" (kha-stham), having-left (tyaktvaa) the "kha-kha??"
after-ascending-to (aaruhya) the "kha" may s/he go forth (coccarediti:
?ca + uccaret + iti?) to the "kha" that is staying in the "kha".

I guess "kha" must have several different meanings in
that shloka...

1 kha 1 the second consonant of the alphabet (being the aspirate of
the preceding consonant ; often in MSS. and Inscr. confounded with %
{Sa}).

2 kha 2 m. the sun L. [334,2]

3 kha 3 n. (%{khan}) a cavity , hollow , cave , cavern , aperture
RV. ; an aperture of the human body (of which there are nine , viz.
the mouth , the two ears , the two eyes , the two nostrils , and the
organs of excretion and generation) AV. xiv , 2 , 1 and 6 Pra1t.
Kat2hUp. Gaut. Mn. &c. ; (hence) an organ of sense BhP. viii , 3 ,
23 ; (in anat.) the glottis W. ; `" the hole made by an arrow "' ,
wound Mn. ix , 43 ; the hole in the nave of a wheel through which the
axis runs RV. S3Br. xiv ; vacuity , empty space , air , ether , sky
S3Br. xiv Pras3nUp. Mn. xii , 120 &c. ; heaven L. ; Brahma (the
Supreme Spirit) W. ; (in arithm.) a cypher Su1ryas. Sa1h. ; the
Anusva1ra represented by a circle (%{bindu}) L. ; N. of the tenth
astrological mansion VarBr2. ; talc L. ; a city L. ; a field L. ;
happiness (a meaning derived fr. %{su-kha} , %{duH-kha}) L. ; action
L. ; understanding L. ; (%{A4}) f. a fountain , well RV. ii , 28 , 5
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) , cf. Zend [EMAIL PROTECTED]) & vi , 36 , 4 ; [cf. Gk.
$ ; Lat. &103509[334 ,2] {halo}.]