--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ultrarishi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Fairfield Lifers,
> >
> > For the well-being and continuity of our group, I post the
> > following information, from today's New York Times news reports:
> >
> > Annoying someone via the internet is now a federal crime.
> >

> Jesus H!  There is just no end to these assaults on our civil
> liberties.
>
> I just don't see this being held up by the Supreme Court when a test
> case makes it there, and probably soon.  Speech is protected, even
> unpopular speech, which "annoying" would seem to be (People v Larry
> Flynt).
>
> Also, the Internet is a global network and how can the US regulate
> international speech.  For example, if you as an American Citizen
> post or blog on a newsgroup or website that it hosted in India, and
> you make annoying remarks about an another American citizen, like
> Ken Lay, do the feds have far reaching authority to fine/imprison
> the ng poster/blogger?

Yes. You are using your head. The information and interpretation in
the post are so at odds with common sense, its astounding anyone,
including the "Ph.d" (yuk yuk) author, could take the points seriously.

And the main points of post have all been shown to false:

1) the law applies to personal correspondence -- not blogs or forums.

2) "intent to annoy" must be proven, not "being annoyed"

3) The laws appears limited to stalking and/or abuse of woman crimes.

4) The law was signed 1/05 not 1/26.

5) The controversy rose up and then settled down three weeks ago
when the facts emerged.

6) Due process was not suspended as implied in the post.

Anyone with their feet on the ground and their head not up their ass
who read the post, knew by common sense that something was wrong with
this reporting or interpretation. Like yourself. The post smells fishy

Yet, one of the few on this list who appeared to take it as "REAL" was
Enlightened Barry.   Go Figure!