Well Rick, here is a stream-of thinking answer to your suggestion.
It is apparent when reading Guru Dev's satsangs that he was totally
sold on the idea of everyone living by the Shastras. So it might be
interesting to take a raincheck on that area. He really was quite
adamantly against arbitrariness - caste was important as was ritual.
He was highly unimpressed with science.
He had a downer on Westerners.
He seemed to have absolute belief in fatalism.
He didn't seem to believe that just doing some worship or meditation
was enough, he believed that living by the Shastras was totally
necessary (sorry to come back to that first point - but it is so
recurrent as to be inescapable).
Okay, where were we. Oh yes, he most certainly was completely sold
into the idea of rebirth and all the rest of Hinduism's basic
beliefs, thus re-enforcing the idea that all things Hindu are right
and fine and dandy. But often he makes it clear that he is repeating
accepted wisdom.
BUT that is entirely contrary to what I understand MMY has been
saying. He has encouraged people to believe that being enlightened
will give up the answers. i.e. it is consciousness not books that
give the knowledge.
It is likely Guru Dev lived an exhalted inner existence and was
incredibly at peace with himself. It is implicit in everything MMY
says about his guru that we are to take it that he was enlightened.
However, if one lives purely by rules, Shastras and convention and
never makes decisions for oneself, in any real sense, the point of
wanting enlightenment gets lost. People want to feel free of the
interminable rules and regulations, that's a big part of why they
take a dive into the peace to be found beyond thinking.

There must be something there worth discussing, other than the
confused way I have laid out the ideas.