--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Whilst speaking about meditation MMY has usually made sure to
> position a picture of Guru Dev behind him . Also, when speaking
about
> Guru Dev himself he always held him to be a shining example of
> spirituality and completeness. So for TMers, Guru Dev represents
the
> model of spiritual attainment - enlightenment. Whilst there are
other
> models in other traditions, in the world of TM Guru Dev is the
> primary example.
>
> I don't know about the rest of you, but I got a series of shocks
when
> I came to read of Guru Dev's lifestory and teachings. I had
envisaged
> someone whose teachings would be light, optimistic, yogic and
bright.
> Instead, I read in his teachings one steeped in the Hindu
teachings
> which many of us would have associated with the Middle Ages rather
> than a man of enlightenment.
>
> Be that as it may, he is the example that has been offered by MMY,
> and therefore deserves close consideration. Clearly, there is an
> undercurrent of humour and light pervading the teachings. But I am
> still concerned that enlightenment as portrayed by him seems so
> against freedom of thought and action. It appears that MMY too had
> reservations about his attitude to fatalism. I quote from a
> biographical sketch he wrote in 1955, two years after Guru Dev's
> passing:-

> 'He for himself would allow things to go on as they are ordained
by
> the hand of destiny, but His devotees have many a time changed the
> course of fate of themselves and of the people.'

********************

What this means is that Guru Dev recognized that the entropic
direction of the continuous 4.3 million year Yuga cycle (from high
levels of consciousness and long life in the 1.7 million years of
the Sat Yuga to the doglike and short life in the ~400K years of the
Kali Yuga) is the way life has always been, and for a reason.

Creation has be to in the direction of entropy (increasing disorder)
because, otherwise, everybody would simply gain perfection right
away and the creation dream would disappear in a puff of enlightened
light.

In order for the dream of creation to continue, the average value of
human consciousness on earth has to decrease over time until it gets
so bad, at the end of the Kali Yuga, that Nature simply pulls the
plug on most of the human biomass and a small population begins to
live the beginning of the yuga cycle, Sat Yuga, once again.

However, as MMY notes, many followers of Shankara, out of compassion
for the people living lives of ignorance and misery, have whispered
the knowledge of how to contact one's inner divine nature through
TM, and therefore brought a spell of relief to the ugly and brutal
life that is lived in the Kali Yuga.

Anybody can gain enlightenment in any epoch of the Yuga cycle, but
ultimately the direction of the average value of consciousness on
earth is increasing disorder, and you can't argue with it -- this is
just the play of the divine, and sooner or later everybody living in
misery gets tired of doing so and opts out of the creation cycle by
diving within and gaining enlightenment, an option which is actually
easier and more attractive in the Kali Yuga because the atmosphere
is so lousy that one becomes hungrier for experiencing the bliss of
one's own infinite consciousness.

Bob Brigante
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/updates2006.html