<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:

> Time,
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> few. It

> different
> > > stations
> distorted
> > > the volume to
> > much
> > > for me to
> stations
> > > could have been
> > conspired
> > > to turn up
> > > >

> > > Probably due to the acoustics of the Church/Temple/meeting hall
> > > where the funeral was taking place.
> > >
> > > Reminds me of the State of the Union Address by Clinton during
> the
> > > Monica scandal.  That was the one where there was serious
> > > discussion about not having Clinton appear (which would have
> been
> > > hard to do seeing that the State of the Union is a
> constitutional
> > > requirement)
> >
> > The Constitution does not require him to give
> > a speech to Congress, just for the record. On
> > the other hand, there wasn't any "serious
> > discussion" about not having him appear either.
> >
> > > due to the scandal.  But he did speak...and because of the
> > acoustics
> > > of the House or Senate (not sure which is the one in which the
> > > president gives the address), even just one person cheering or
> > > clapping sounds like 20 people...
> > >
> > > And this went a long way towards Clinton saving his presidency
> > > because the impression it gave was that many, many people were
> > > cheering him regardless of the actual number who were because
> > > of the acoustics.
> >
> > Nonsense.  Clinton's ratings were way high already,
> > Monica or no Monica.
>
> This was right at the time that the scandal broke.

Right, when his job approval rating was 59. Following
the disclosure in February it went up to 65, and then
for the rest of his term--right through impeachment--
it went up and down by a few points, hovering around
65 for most of that period, with a couple of very brief
slippages down to 58.

Just as I said.

> Indeed, that
> Sunday on ABC's "This Week" Sam Donaldson predicted that Clinton
> would resign that week.

Is that your idea of "serious discussion," a
prediction from Sam Donaldson?

> Easy to say "nonsense" in hindsight.  There was serious discussion
> that his presidency was over at the time.

No, there was discussion by know-it-all pundits
and hopeful right-wingers.  The public was behind
Clinton all along, did not want him impeached, by
huge majorities, did not want him removed from
office.

And as I said, there was *no* serious discussion--
i.e., by anybody who counted--that he should not
deliver the State of the Union in 1998.

To claim that speech "saved his presidency" is
just silly.