--- Vaj wrote:

> There are programs that let people go to the dentist. Medicare covers
> dental care.
>
> If anything there are more people who have medicare/medicaid
> accessing healthcare than you are aware.

Medicare reimburses for less than it costs to
provide the services. Hence, Medicare patients
must be subsidized by paying patients. This
works out okay in larger hospitals that have
healthy balance sheets, but falls apart with
dentistry and other small private practices.

Most dentists are very entrepreneurial, working
alone or with a partner. They are loath to get
paid less than the market rate, for demand is
high. Where I live, it's not uncommon to have
to wait months for a routine appointment.

In the Seacoast Region of New Hamsphire a few
years ago, not one dentist accepted Medicare
patients, and no one speciazed in pediatric
dentistry. For that reason, one of the community
hospitals, Exeter Hospital, funded a pediatric
dentistry practice that accepts Medicare patients
and offers other means for low-income families
to obtain oral health care.

The hospital went one step further and invested
half a million dollars in a mobile dentistry clinic.

See http://tinyurl.com/7c75o.

Such steps are remarkable, but hardly universal.