> wrote:
> >
> > Buckeyecreek, my good fellow, you missed the BEST Movement
phrase!

> > It's not "It would be good if...", it's "Perhaps it would be
> > best if...".
> >
> > Adding the "perhaps" and using "best" instead of "good" has SO
> > many subtle advantages to it!
>
> *Especially* if the sentiment one is trying to express
> is, "Perhaps it would be best if you shut up and did
> what I say/agree with me, and stop challenging my
> authority."  It's classic passive-agressive behavior.

But to provide some balance, "It would be good if..."
can also be used, and often is used, as a polite way
to present an alternative way of seeing things to
people who are locked into their own way of seeing
things so strongly that they can see no other. It's
all in the intent behind the words, and the manner
in which the phrase is delivered.  The key seems
to be developing the intuition to tell one form of
the buzzphrase from the other, to discern coercion
disguised by movement-speak from an actual attempt
to help out.

The key factor, in my experience, is watching the
speaker's history *over time*.  If, over a period
of time, the person using this phrase repeatedly
really does seem to have the intent of smoothing
things out and producing the best possible results,
that should be kept in mind the next time he uses
the buzzphrase.  If, on the other hand, the speaker
has a consistent history of trying to get his way
or prove himself "right" and/or someone else
"wrong," that should also be kept in mind.

I was fortunate enough to study with a teacher
who trained us to listen intuitively to the intent
behind words, not just to the words themselves.
The same phrase can mean completely different
things, depending on the intent of the person
speaking it.