<bdadvaitin@ wrote:

> > I think that's a big Yes. They have to pay students
> > with grant money to learn TM these days.  :-)
>
> *****************
>
> I agree that letting people learn for free is a mistake:
>
> http://geocities.com/bbrigante/updates2006#500.html

That's not what I was suggesting; I think it's
a *wonderful* idea to teach people to meditate
for free.

What I was suggesting is that these days the only
way the TM movement can possibly get 500 students
to participate in one of their bogus studies is to
not only pay for their TM instruction, but pay them
a stipend to insure that they continue meditating
for the two years of the study.  The TM movement and
TM in general have that little credibility among
the young.

Mark my words, this is what the protocols of the
"study" will involve. This is the counterpart of
a tobacco study paid for by the tobacco industry
or a drug study paid for by the manufacturer of
the drug. The "results" are a foregone conclusion.
And those results will be achieved by *buying* the
students' continuing participation in the "study."

If they really wanted to do an interesting study,
what they should do is create two groups of 500.
One would be paid to continue meditating for two
years, the other would receive no such incentive.
My bet is that about 90% the unpaid group would
stop meditating before the two years were up.