Judy writes:
FWIW, I had that problem too at one time, just as you
describe it.  I ultimately found that what I had
thought of as "subtle" was still too concrete.  The
mantra wasn't unavailable at all; it was there, but it
was just *so* faint I hadn't recognized it as such.

Once I realized this, I was fine, and meditation
continued as it had before.

A TM teacher told me that MMY had said there is no
limit to how faint the mantra can become.

Tom T:
There is a story that Papaji was complaining to Ramana Maharishi that
he could no longer do Japa and wondered why. Ramana asked Papji how he
got to the ashram and he replied by train and then by oxcart. Ramana
asked him where the train and oxcart were now. Papji replied they are
both back at the station. Ramana then said. They have brought you here
and you no longer need them. They served as vehicles only. You have
become what you were seeking there is no longer any need for the
vehicle once you have arrived at the final destination. Tom T