> In a message dated 2/26/06 12:19:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> suggests  otherwise--i.e., that the men of Sodom weren't
> homosexual or even bisexual,  and that the threatened rape
> was not a function of sexual desire on their  part, but
> rather an attempt to intimidate Lot's visitors into
> leaving  forthwith.
>

> And Why did they want them to leave so quickly? Was rape the  only
> means of intimidating them?

According to the Bible, they didn't want to have to
share their prosperity with every stranger who came
along.

I suspect they could have found other means, but rape
was a pretty effective threat, and, as I said, a common
means of doing so at that time.

Plus which, they probably would have enjoyed the actual
intimidation and humiliation of the strangers.

Rape generally--including heterosexual rape--is not
about sex but about power.