http://www.centralchronicle.com/20060303/0303302.htm

Sanskrit and Macaulayan education

"Literally meaning "refined and sanctified", and priding itself as
cultured, Sanskrit is acclaimed as the best, sweetest and divine
language (bhashasu mukhya madhura divya geervaan bharati). Sanskrit
is the divine language revealed through the sages (Sanskritam naam
daivi vaak anavyakhyata maharshibhihi). But though excepting
Tirukkural which is in Tamil, almost all Hindu scriptures like
Vedas, Upanishads, Ramayana and Mahabharata are written in Sanskrit,
Sanskrit has been driven out of Indian schools and colleges by
Macaulay's education introduced in India in 1835.

Macaulayan education downgraded Indian languages including Sanskrit
and replaced them with English. This education was introduced to de-
Hinduize Hindus as is evident in Macaulay's following letter dated
October 12, 1836 to his evangelist father,

"Our English schools are flourishing wonderfully; we find it
difficult to provide instruction to all. The effect of this
education on Hindus is prodigious. No Hindu who has received an
English education ever remains sincerely attached to his religion.
It is my firm belief that if our plans of education are followed up,
there will not be a single idolater among the respected classes 30
years hence. And this will be effected without our efforts to
proselytize; I heartily rejoice in the prospect."

De-Hinduized by Macaulayan education, and brain washed by Macaulayan
media, most of Hindu intellectuals, MBAs, business persons, doctors,
lawyers, chartered accountants, engineers, teachers and the rest are
self-alienated and do not know Sanskrit, and do not know much about
Hindu religion or heritage, or about Vedas, Upanishads, Ramayana,
Mahabharata or Tirukkural.

India was expected to discard Macaulayism after the British left in
1947. On September 10, 1949, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar even sponsored an
amendment making Sanskrit as the official language of India. But the
said amendment was defeated in the Constituent Assembly. However,
Sanskrit was included in the Eighth Schedule of Indian Constitution.

But shockingly, Macaulay's missionary-oriented colonial education
and neglect of Sanskrit is still gripping Independent India. After
banishing Sanskrit from Indian schools and colleges, Macaulayists
call Sanskrit 'the dead language'.