> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > > are you talking about the process of awakening or the awakened
> > > state itself?
> >
> > I mean, assuming MMY is awakened and everything seems
> > easy and simple to him, could that sense have been
> > what misled him to think it would be easy and simple
> > for him to convince most everyone in the world to take
> > up TM?
>
> Personally I think it was several elements that led him to believe
> and proclaim such things:
> 1. He saw a need for the world that could be met by his capability,
> to essentially reinvent meditation as something practical for the
> householder.
> 2. As with any endeavor that speaks to our heart, he wanted as many
> as possible to take it up.
> 3. Since the technique is easy to learn and practice he saw it as
> easily accepted.
> 4. His vision was to benefit the whole world, not a subset of it.
>
> As to whether he misjudged the difficulty of the task, I doubt it.
> The goal was initially to spread TM to one percent of the world's
> population, because that is what he thought would enlighten, or
> awaken, the world.
>
> As the task progressed, so did the dynamics; the interplay between
> the silence being awakened and brought into the world, by all our
> tiny little meditating brains. So his formulas changed, as the
> world changed.
>
> Perhaps your question is whether or not he failed in his mission to
> enlighten the world.

No, I was simply wondering whether the "easy and simple"
sense could be misleading.

Whether or not in retrospect some time hence it will be
seen that MMY succeeded in his mission, it does seem
clear that he underestimated the difficulty of the task,
at least from the way he talked about it.  Maybe he
knew all along it wasn't going to be as easy as he made
it sound.

So I guess that's another question: Did he or didn't
he know how tough it was going to be?

And if he didn't, was it because the state of
enlightenment makes everything seem easy and simple
*when it really isn't*?  Is it possible that the
"easy and simple" sense applies on some level other
than the practical one of achieving a goal, but
that the person who is enlightened may incorrectly
think it applies to achieving the goal?

*Action* in enlightenment is presumably effortless,
in other words, but that doesn't necessarily mean
that a *given* course of action is going to easily
reach the goal.

I suppose it goes back to the question of whether
what the enlightened person thinks is the goal is
the same as the goal nature "has in mind."