--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IMO this whole notion of non-attachment is merely a concept and who
> knows if anyone here truly even understands it and even if they
could,
> could they really explain it in such a way that the listener would
a)
> be able to truly grok it

By way of analogy, the difference between attachment and non-
attachment in action is the difference between jumping into a river,
and attempting to reach your destination downstream by swimming
against the current to some degree, or floating with it.

The non-attached feeling or sense comes about because over our many
years of spiritual practice, and learning from our experience, bit
by bit, how life works, we eventually gain such a perfect degree of
coordination between our environment and our interaction with it,
that the effect of fulfilling our desires is similar to floating
with the current in a river. This applies no matter what our
activity is.

Back to the analogy, if you are at point A in the river and
attempting to get to point B, downstream, and just let the current
take you there, during the journey you will realize you are
accomplishing your desire of getting to point B, but feel non-
attached about it. It is all happening as if on its own.

On the other hand, if your degree of coordination is not perfected
with regard to your environment, it is analogous to fighting the
current, being very much personally involved and attached to the
outcome of getting from point A to point B. This causes us to
necessarily take ownership of the journey, and feel that we are the
doer.

There is no way to fake non-attachment and get good results.