> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>
wrote:

> > I think the point here is "different strokes for
> > different folks". All of us that grew-up in the TMO
> > just blindly accepted that TM was good for everybody
> > and that TM was the "best" technique around. Of course
> > this is a very immature position. Many people enjoy TM
> > and seek nothing else. Others give TM and the siddhi
> > program an honest shot for several years or decades
> > and then move on to something else. What's wrong with
> > that? If the intent is realization and you're stuck in
> > traffic with your sadhana why not do something that
> > you're drawn to?
>
> I completely agree with that. Any spiritual practice is
> better than none. It was more about the made up technique
> and side effects stuff that I objected to. Including stuff
> directly from God, *every* technique is made up.

Yes, but some of them have had more time on the
"test track" than others.  :-)

Seriously, as far as we can tell, Maharishi made
up TM, changed it a few times along the way, based
on trial and error, and settled on what we think of
as TM today. The siddhis were even more a process
of trial and error, with the guinea pigs being the
folks on the first few courses.

Is it any *wonder* that there were some side effects?

Compare and contrast to techniques that have been
passed down within the same tradition for decades
or centuries. They might have *been* equally made
up in the beginning, and equally subject to a process
of trial and error to work all the bugs out, but the
trial period is a great deal longer. And in the case
of the traditions I'm speaking about, they actually
seem to *care* if someone develops a negative reaction
or side effect to one of the techniques they teach.
The TM organization's approach has always been to
blame the person exhibiting the negative result and,
if it doesn't go away on its own, to either hide the
poor victim in a basement or get them off the course
or out of town and thus away from scrutiny.

It is my contention that the *only* reason people
believe that TM is "100% life supporting" is that
they were *told* that, over and over and over, for
years. *By* the people who all along were carefully
hiding any negative side effects.