> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ingegerd"
> > <marwincornyarmand@> wrote:
> > >
> > > When I learned TM (Deep Meditation) in 1962, by the
> > > first meditation teacher in Norway, we learned to
> > > concentrate about the Mantra. Some years after -
> > > the instruction became "Don't concentrate", and the
> > > checking points came out.
> >
> > Ingegerd, your experience MUST be wrong, because
> > it doesn't agree with what Judy and Lawson say.
>
> Well, now, let's see, I can't recall saying, or seeing
> Lawson say, anything about having learned TM in 1962 or
> the words used in instruction then.

I don't know about 1962, but MMY was apparently, according to the
revised 1979 edition of _Maharishi at 433_ (aka _Hermit in My
House_), using the phrase "think it innocently as a child" when
discussing the TM mantra. The context was the meaning of the mantra,
so perhaps it isn't germane to the initial instruction for using the
mantra, but the tone of the book (as seen through 1979 glasses
looking at something written in 1967 about events in 1959, of course)
seemed to imply that meditation was simple, easy, effortless, etc.
Certainly, it was *called* "simple" in the 1979 edition. Anyone have
the 1967 edition, or have any promotional materials from the earliest
days of TM instruction in the '59-'62 period?

That doesn't mean that it wasn't called "concentration" by Ingegard's
teacher in 1962, but dyhan is often translated as "concentration,"
and MMY insists that TM is the simplest and most important form of
dyhan in SOBAL and by then he was definitely presenting TM as
effortless, etc.