> > > I'm not convinced. The same mindset has been present
> > > in *every* TM environment I've ever lived or worked
> > > in, including the centers and administrative offices
> > > in the heart of Los Angleles. One can create an 'island'
> > > anywhere if one wants to.
> > >
> > > The question for me is whether this mindset is the
> > > result of TM per se or the effect of decades of
> > > indoctrination in "Don't focus on the negative."
> > > I don't know.
> >
> > Since I've been practicing TM for 30+ years and been in various
> > enviornments where emergencies are contrived to happen (e.g.
> > USAF/NATO exercises) I can assure you it's the lack of
> > experience/practice with emergencies. The military spends a LOT
of
> > time and money training people to know what to do "under fire."
> > The TMO doesn't.
>
> The TMO, in fact, trains people in the *opposite*,
> that they will become 'in tune' with the 'laws of
> nature,' and thus nothing bad will ever happen. I
> still think that *this* is the problem.

I agree, but I don't think its a deliberate indoctrination, for the
most part. Most ultra-believers of any philosophy or religion buy
into it wholeheartedly (perhaps that is a redundant statement).
Snaker-handlers certainly believe that their faith will protect them,
and some TMers, at least/especially in Fairfield, appear to believe
that there's a 100% innocuation against Bad Things Happening (TM)
when they practice TM.

Not only
> were these people not trained in how to react to
> such a situation, they didn't want to *believe* it
> was happening. Rather than deal with it, they tried
> their best to make it 'go away' and *not* deal with
> it.

That's true of anyone, especially True Believers in anything. Its not
limited to TB TMers by any means: "We can't lose 'cause
we're 'Mericans." --Go Tell the Spartans.

I'm afraid that this attitude will continue at
> MUM, no matter what policies are implemented or
> what training is provided. This myth of being
> 'invincible' due to the power of TM and the siddhis
> is part and parcel of the TMO teaching and its
> environments.

SOmeone who is fully in Unity may be able to stand in the center of
the sun without being hurt, but I don't think it applies to someone
who is bouncing on their butt. Certainly, the guy who broke his leg
while practicing group Yogic flying wasn't immune to landing wrong,
letalone being vaporized.

 The first reaction to a bad situation
> happening is always going to be, "This isn't really
> happening, because it *can't*. These kinds of things
> just aren't supposed *to* happen."

Sure: again, that's a TB thing -- especially when you live in a large
community of TBers that's isolated. But its not just a TM thing.

> I'm actually somewhat surprised MUM had insurance.
> It must be a legal requirement for a school in Iowa.
> If the MUM administrators actually believe the stuff
> they've been told by Maharishi and that they repeat
> themselves, they would tend to believe that there is
> no *need* for insurance of this sort, because nothing
> bad can ever happen to people who have the 'laws of
> nature' supporting them.

No doubt. I wonder if Vastuu office buildings have eastern-facing
fire doors...

> A quick look around at the number of TMers in Fair-
> field who get sick, have accidents, and even commit
> suicide would tend to challenge this belief. But
> when has reality *ever* challenged a belief on
> which one has based one's entire life?

Always the case. It's difficult to challenge one's own beliefs,
that's for sure. I personally think that TM practice makes it easier
to accept that one might be wrong, but that requires one to be in a
position to have one's beliefs challenged in the first place.