On Mar 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, sparaig wrote:

> > Correct it does not describe the technique of manasika-japa/TM but
> > merely defines mindfulness in a broad context of practice.
> >

> Insomuch as TM involves awareness, then you can say its mindfulness.

Precisely.

> Beyond that, depends on the definition of mindfulness.

I am using Asanga's definition as it is pertinent to the style of
meditation we are discussing.

> As I pointed
> out, a perfectly valid TM session could involve thinking the mantra
> once and being distracted by internal/external phenomena for the next
> 20 minutes.
>
> You seemed to believe thatthat could NOT be a valid meditation
> session, or so your "good luck with that" response suggests.

This is an erroneous conclusion. It may well be for you a valid
meditation in your version of TM style meditation. What that will
actually lead to is depression if it is repeated long enough--which
actually explains a lot. It may well be a fault in this technique.