On Mar 17, 2006, at 2:02 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

> Bob enjoys his fantasy world--seems happy in it. :)

Is it that different from utopian fantasies about the
perfect future world, or after-life fantasies about
heaven, or New Age fantasies about the coming Age Of
Aquarius, or even the Age Of Enlightenment?

The fantasy of the "perfect India" shares the same two
criteria as all the others -- they're mythical, and
they are *not* happening right here, right NOW. The
fantasies are a mechanism for distracting us from
NOW and making us think that things will be "better"
in some future time or were "better" in some past
time.

Agree with all the above, Barry.

They're a way of *avoiding* NOW, and thus
avoiding enlightenment.

I don't put much stock in these endless discussions about 'enlightenment,' whatever that term my mean to you or anyone else, since I think the discussions themselves are pretty much a ruse for avoiding dealing with anything halfway practical or useful. But I will agree the fantasies are also a way of avoiding dealing with life in the here and now.

I just wish he would stop repeating the same quotes over and over and over. It's like a broken recored you can't turn off.